The Ottawa Senators released their rosters for the 2017 rookie tournament, an annual event where the team’s young talent will compete against the prospects of other teams at Toronto’s Ricoh Coliseum. The tournament will take place between September 8-10, with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montréal Canadiens also participating.
The roster is composed mostly of players expected to play in North America, as most international leagues will have begun by the time the tournament starts. Due to NCAA regulations, Shane Bowers, the Sens’ most recent first round draft selection, will not be in attendance (also prevented from joining are forwards Shane Eiserman and Todd Burgess, as well as defencemen Miles Gendron, Christian Wolanin and Kelly Summers).
That said, many of the team’s top prospects will still be playing, including both Thomas Chabot and Colin White, and the two of the three remaining Sens picks from 2017 will also take action in Alex Formenton and Drake Batherson. The full roster can be found at the bottom of this post.
Filling out the roster are a handful of players on tryout agreements, with a few interesting names popping up:
- Matteo Gennaro makes a reappearance after being invited to the Sens’ development camp earlier this summer. A former draft pick of the Winnipeg Jets, he scored 80 points in 69 games last season in the WHL at 20 years old.
- Parker Kelly was also invited to the Sens’ development camp. Gone undrafted in his first year of eligibility and still only 18 years old, the Sens could be keeping their eye on the young forward.
- Probably the most intriguing of the invites, Pius Suter is a 21-year-old Swiss forward who was previously coached by Marc Crawford. He scored 17 goals and 28 points in 38 games last season, and is the only internationally invited player. Considering his ZSC Lions play their season opener on the first day of the rookie tournament, expect Suter to be given a contract by the Sens in the near future./
The full roster can be found below, followed by the tournament schedule.
Goalies: Marcus Hogberg, Kevin Baillie*
Defencemen: Charles-David Beaudoin*, Thomas Chabot, Cody Donaghey, Andreas Englund, Macoy Erkamps, Christian Jaros, Maxime Lajoie, Jordan Murray
Forwards: Drake Batherson, Logan Brown, Filip Chlapik, Bobby Dow*, Alex Formenton, Gabriel Gagne, Matteo Gennaro*, Parker Kelly*, Francis Perron, Jack Rodewald, Pius Suter*, Jordan Topping*, Colin White
(* denotes not part of Senators organization)
All games take place at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto
Friday, September 8th: Montreal vs. Toronto, 7 p.m.
Saturday, September 9th: Ottawa vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.
Sunday, September 10th: Toronto vs. Ottawa, 4 p.m.
Edit: This story originally stated that Jordan Hollett would be in attendance. He will not be attending due to a minor illness, and has been replaced with Kevin Baillie.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team