The Ottawa Senators announced today that they have recalled forward Drake Batherson from Belleville. The news comes shortly after they announced that Nick Paul has been sent down.
Drafted in the 4th round in 2017, nobody could’ve anticipated the incredible leaps Batherson has taken in his development. In his post-draft year he scored 77 points in 51 games in the QMJHL, while also capturing a gold medal with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships.
Now in his rookie pro season, Batherson has been off to an incredibly hot start. Playing on Belleville’s top line with Filip Chlapik and Rudolfs Balcers, he leads all rookies in scoring with seven goals and twenty points in fourteen games. Earlier today he was named the AHL’s player of the week, after putting up seven points in his last two games, including a historic six-point effort against the Toronto Marlies.
Ottawa is in the midst of a three day break, playing at home this Thursday against the Detroit Red Wings. With Brady Tkachuk, Colin White and Max Lajoie already in contention for Calder nominations, Batherson is another player on Ottawa’s impressive list of rookies.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team