Drake Batherson and Rudolfs Balcers might have been October’s standouts, but the last couple of weeks have been dominated by Josh Norris. The standout sophomore is featured again, along with a recent first-round pick and a college free agent signing who’s finally healthy enough to make an impact in Belleville.
(Click to enlarge)
Up to 12 points in 7 games, Norris ranks sixth in the nation and continues to lead Michigan on a nightly basis. Also encouraging: his 3.71 shots per game, which is only beat by four players in the top-100 scorers — including Jake Slaker, his linemate.
It helps having Quinn Hughes transition the puck on the back-end, but Norris has been showcasing a decent shot to beat goalies clean when he has the chance, such as in the goal below:
Josh Norris 🚨— Sens Prospects (@SensProspects) November 3, 2018
Norris has goals in 4 straight, good for 9 points (4G, 5A) in 6GP to start the season 🔥 pic.twitter.com/TY8bVaofGl
Josh Norris 🚨🚨🍎— Sens Prospects (@SensProspects) November 4, 2018
3 point night! Norris is on a TEAR to start his second NCAA season. A point in every game so far, good for 12 points (6G, 6A) in 7GP 🔥 pic.twitter.com/AE10ZDb3yj
It’s taken some time for him to settle into UND, but JBD had a big weekend, scoring twice, to help the Fighting Hawks pick up a couple of key points.
Known to be the more-defensive other half of Jonny Tychonick, I was impressed watching Bernard-Docker’s poise on both goals, including the presence of mind to drag his wrist shot before placing it accurately in the top corner.
🚨 WELCOME TO UND, MR. BERNARD-DOCKER! 🚨— UND Insider (@undinsider) November 3, 2018
Jacob Bernard-Docker gets hist first-career goal to make it 2-0 for @UNDmhockey late in the 1st period against Wisconsin!#UNDproud @TheNCHC pic.twitter.com/CLMfOaHrbf
His second goal was near identical, but came in overtime:
🚨 Jacob Bernard-Docker OT winner!— Sens Prospects (@SensProspects) November 4, 2018
Goals in back-to-back wins this weekend for JBD. pic.twitter.com/Z7ZQhdSZlS
He might not have been Belleville’s most high-profile injury, but Sturtz made his return known with a dynamite first game against Syracuse. The ex-Penn State player has a strong centre of gravity coupled with great acceleration, making him hard to contain once he gets going.
- Highlighted by Colin in our prospect update last week, Jakov Novak was named Atlantic Hockey’s Rookie of the Week.
- In his first week as Belleville’s bonafide number one goaltender, Filip Gustavsson stole the game against Laval (check out these saves), before getting pulled in back-to-back starts against Syracuse. Mike Condon has cleared waivers and is assigned to Belleville to rehabilitate his game, so it’ll be interesting to see what Troy Mann does with this goalie kerfuffle.
- Some more first goals! Congrats, Jonny Gruden!
- Much of the discussion has been focused on Alex Formenton, who scored his first NHL goal but was sent back to London. He scored his first OHL goal of the season, an empty netter, and will be joined by Evan Bouchard in the annual Canada-Russia series.
- Sens prospect Parker Kelly will be representing Team WHL, and is hoping to garner attention for Team Canada’s camp in December. He scored two shorthanded goals this past week.
- Injury update? In addition to the aforementioned return of Sturtz, Filip Chlapik is back, too. Logan Brown should return around Dec. 1 (his knee is currently in a brace), and Luke Loheit is back playing for Penticton after his bout of mononucleosis. /
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team