The Ottawa Senators announced a minor transaction today, as they claimed forward Jayce Hawryluk off of waivers from the Florida Panthers:
Roster update: The #Sens have claimed forward Jayce Hawryluk off waivers from the @FlaPanthers.— Sens Communications (@Media_Sens) February 17, 2020
Mise à jour alignement : Les #Sens ont réclamé au ballotage l’attaquant Jayce Hawryluk des Panthers de la Floride.
The 24-year old was selected 32nd overall by Florida in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and spent most of this season as a depth forward for the Panthers, tallying one goal and two assists in 15 games. This is coming off of a great 2018-19 campaign with the Springfield Thunderbirds of the AHL, in which he scored 8 goals and 24 assists in 31 games.
This move by Pierre Dorion indicates that the Senators will be at least somewhat busy leading up to the trade deadline, as they’re now at 49 total contracts including 14 forwards on the main roster, and are expected to move quite a few players, possibly including Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Dylan Demelo and Tyler Ennis. Furthermore, Dorion has previously stressed that the organization wants to take their time developing prospects in Belleville, and adding Hawryluk via waivers is a move that fits this mentality.
Welcome to Ottawa, Jayce!
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team