This afternoon, the beginning of the 2011-12 NHL season kicks off with the opening of the Oshawa rookie tournament. In the opener, the Senators and Penguins rookies face off at 2 p.m.
The Penguins prospect roster doesn't include a lot of well-known names, but it does feature Eric Tangradi, Simon Despres, and Joseph Morrow, a few recent high round picks. Tangradi is pencilled in to the Penguins roster, while Despres will fight for a spot and Morrow might start on the blue line, but is more likely headed back to junior for another season.
In Ottawa, we'll be watching just about every prospect with a lot of anticipation. At the forefront will likely be defenders Jared Cowen and David Rundblad, two of the most touted prospects in Ottawa's system, but eyes will also be focussed on Robin Lehner in net as well as the top forward line of Mika Zibanejad centering Shane Prince and Andre Petersson. Not to mention Stephane Da Costa, who's expected to compete for an NHL roster spot this season, plus a couple guys who'll likely be stepping up to the AHL this season:
Mark Stone, (Ed. note: Turns out Stone isn't yet AHL-eligible; he'll likely head back to the WHL for another year of junior) Corey Cowick, and Louie Caporusso.
It should be a fun one, so join us here Saturday afternoon to chat about the game!
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team