Open thread: NHL Trade deadline
If TSN is to be believed, today is the day everyone dreams about. No, not winning the Stanley Cup, but the NHL trade deadline. By the time you read this, Henrik Lundqvist might have been traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for all their first round picks until 2023. Aside from that, what can we expect to see? The deadline is at 3 p.m. eastern time.
Sens point of view
- With Craig Anderson's injury, there were some thoughts that maybe Ottawa would get a goaltender. With the acquisition of Ben Bishop, that's done with.
- The Senators are scoring freely, but it has been mostly due to the first line and Erik Karlsson. Could they make an acquisition for a bottom six player? Not many teams are definitely out of the playoff race so rental prices could be higher than usual.
- One area where the Senators could use some help is defence. Matt Carkner doesn't seem like a reliable NHL player right now, but he would have to play in the case of an injury. Rentals could include someone like unrestricted free agent Jaroslav Spacek of the Carolina Hurricanes.
- What will happen with Rick Nash? Will he stay or will he go?
- With the Leafs' recent struggles, will they become sellers or will Brian Burke get desperate for a playoff berth?
- Ryan Suter is going to get a lot of money if he makes it to free agency in the summer. Still, no chance he gets traded is there? You have to think the Predators can't afford both Suter and Shea Weber.
If you aren't too busy at work, join us for all the action.