Dion Phaneuf has gone up significantly in my books. I always knew that he was a good defenceman, skilled on either side of the puck, but he seemed a bit... I don't know... robotic. I didn't think he had a sense of humour. Turns out he does.
Phaneuf is one of 29 NHL players (so far) to have been sent a No Habs No! letter, and he's now become the first to send me a response. I sent him a letter on Feb. 12, 2009, and received his response--in the form of an autographed player card, and the return of his No Habs No! loonie--on April 6, 2009. I can only assume that he returned the dollar out of fear of any tax implications the extra income would have brought about.
Here's a scan of the hand-autographed card he sent to the campaign, which will be entered into the No Habs No! Hall of Fame:
This leaves me with a decision: What to do with the loonie. I would like to trade it for a Montréal Canadiens centennial-issue loonie and incinerate that one, but I'm open to any ideas campaign members may have.
To support the campaign, you can do any of the following:
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team