Let’s take a spin through some of the stories that are making news in the hockey world this week:
- Eugene Melnyk hopped on his old buddy Bob McCown’s podcast recently (Melnyk makes his appearance just over seven minutes in). We didn’t get the fireworks that we sometimes see from Eugene’s media appearances but it is worth noting that he did say: a) the team will get Brady Tkachuk signed to a “fair” contract, b) that he wants the captain of the team to be here long-term and not on a bridge deal and c) the the prospect of building an arena in Lebreton is dead, and that he’s willing to stay in Kanata but would also entertain the possibility of moving the arena to Gatineau (?!). Read into all of that what you will.
- The Detroit Red Wings agreed to an extension with Jeff Blashill on Tuesday. The Wings haven’t exactly been racking up the wins during Blashill’s tenure, but as Steve Yzerman said “It’s hard to coach a rebuilding team.” Certainly Blashill was not given a lot to work these last few years.
- We’ve got a couple of retirements to report, as Jussi Jokinen and Derek Roy have both announced they are hanging ‘em up. Both played in Europe this past season, and in fact Roy has been overseas since the 2015-16 season. I am perhaps dating myself when I say that it doesn’t feel that long ago that the now 38-year old Roy was ripping it up in Buffalo.
- Over at the Athletic ($), Ian Mendes is running a survey asking Sens fans how they are feeling leading into the series between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens. The way I’m looking at it is that at least one of them has to lose so at least there’s that. Forced to choose, the ensuing chaos of yet another early exit for Toronto would be absolutely delicious so....Go Habs? Feels bad just writing it, to be honest.
- Greg Wyhshynski has an in-depth look at just how the Winnipeg Jets might try to slow down Connor McDavid in their first round series. I say good luck to them!
- There was something of a COVID scare reported earlier this week but it seems to have been a case of false positives.
- In some cool news out of Toronto, the Maple Leafs have promoted Hayley Wickenheiser to Senior Director of Player Development, and hired Danielle Goyette as Director of Player Development. /