Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel will all be scratched for tonight’s game against the New Jersey Devils. The move comes days before the NHL trade deadline, which is 3:00 p.m. this Monday.
Stone, Duchene and Dzingel scratched for precautionary reasons.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) February 21, 2019
With all three players pending UFAs this coming off-season, the Senators have been waiting on a decision from the players as to whether they want to re-sign. Tonight’s scratch is indicative of their decisions not to sign, as the Sens want to forego any risk of them getting injured while they’re trying to trade them.
Now we wait, as Pierre Dorion has less than four days to make three massive trades. The Jets, Predators, Blue Jackets and Canadiens are among the teams with scouts in attendance for tonight’s game.
Filip Chlapik and Darren Archibald were recalled from the Belleville Senators earlier today, and will take their places in the lineup. The Devils have also scratched Marcus Johansson and Ben Lovejoy for similar reasons.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team