Hockey Canada has confirmed earlier reports that a pair of Senators will be suiting up for Team Canada at the upcoming IIHF World Championships in Moscow and St. Petersburg: defenceman Cody Ceci and forward Mark Stone. Since the tournament starts May 6, players on teams who make deep playoff runs cannot play, opening up the chance to some other players. Additionally, with the World Cup of Hockey also taking place this offseason, many top players are choosing to rest during the World Championships to be ready for September. This opened up a spot for Ceci. Stone is likely a bubble player for Team Canada at the WCoH, and as such could improve his stock by playing well at the World Championships.
Chris Wideman will also be at the World Championships, playing for Team USA, according to Bruce Garrioch. The first round of roster decisions will be made official later today. It remains to be seen if other Sens players will suit up for their respective organizations.
The 2016 IIHF World Champions run May 6-22 in Russia.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team