LNN: Stützle talks living arrangements, Spezza on waivers, Jets back at practice, and more!
It’s the Monday edition of Links, News and Notes!
- Finally, there is actual hockey to talk about! If you’re looking for more game recaps, check out the Locked on Senators podcast or Sens Talk, who both already have podcasts up discussing the most recent games.
- This probably doesn’t mean much for the Sens, but the Leafs just placed Jason Spezza on waivers. Spezza has said that he’ll retire if someone claims him, so he’s probably staying in Toronto, but it would be really funny if the Sens claimed him just to make him retire as a Senator and deprive the Leafs of an affordable centerman. Mean, but funny.
- The Sens are set to play the Jets three times this week, and there was a little bit of uncertainty as to whether that might go ahead this weekend as the Jets cancelled their practice after a COVID scare. Good news, though: The Jets are back at practice and it looks like tomorrow’s game is a go!
- Some sad news: Kevin Caradonna, who designed the original Senators logo - as well as the mascot - passed away on January 11th. There was a really nice obituary in the Ottawa Citizen.
- The Canadian Tire Centre turned 25 this weekend, and Jeff Morris of The Hockey Writers is looking back at the 25 best moments in the arena.
- Looking for a new lockscreen? Sens Hour designed this!/
Got bored and designed these #Stützle phone wallpapers. Hope you guys enjoy! #GoSensGo | @Senators pic.twitter.com/5IrXsx6nIy— Sens Hour 🕒 (@Sens_Hour) January 16, 2021
- In case you missed it, Sportsnet talked to Tim Stützle ahead of his first game, and this kid is funny! Highlights include:/
- He, Norris and Tkachuk have apparently been “talking a lot and having food together”
- Brady apparently “knows everything,” since he’s played two seasons in the NHL.
- Josh Norris is rumoured to be a good cook, but Tim is not convinced. So far they’ve mostly been eating takeout and making Brady’s girlfriend cook for them. I, for one, am shocked.
- While Norris does technically speak German, Stützle thinks it’s very funny that people are calling him “fluent.” Ouch.
- Patrick Woodbury has the best picture of the young season. It’s nice to have a shot of the exact moment the puck went in, but I’m especially fond of Colin White’s full reaction. /
Où étiez-vous quand Tim Stützle a marqué son premier but dans la LNH?— Sylvain St-Laurent (@Syl_St_Laurent) January 17, 2021
Mon ami @patrickwoodbury était juste là.#Sens pic.twitter.com/dqZPCzyfTf
- You know what January 2021 needs? Even more hockey. The NWHL is making its grand return this week, and if you’re new to the league, The Ice Garden has a handy guide to help you figure out which team to support! I’m personally leaning toward the Toronto Six - the only Canadian team, and the only one that has yet to take to the ice - but Saroya Tinker may be enough to convince me to support the Riveters.
- Also, if you’d like to learn a bit about the NWHL, Ice Garden writer Anne Tokarski has you covered, in the latest episode of the Founding 4 Podcast!
- If you have some extra cash to spend on a cool fundraiser, there’s a gofundme for a hockey team in Kenya.
- Finally, Hockey in Society has an interesting piece on gender bias in hockey photography - they noticed that when you search for pictures of women’s hockey players, the top results aren’t usually pictures of the players actually on the ice. It’s well worth reading./