The Next Season, World Juniors, and Stützle Choosing a Number
It’s the Monday edition of Links, News and Notes!
The offseason is here for real, my friends, and that means there isn’t much Sens news to talk about! Still, here’s what’s been going on in the world of hockey over the last few days.
- The future of NHL hockey remains completely up in the air during this strange time. GMs from across the league held a meeting on Friday, but it doesn’t sound like any decisions have been made yet. An interesting question that was apparently raised: with fewer games being played, what’s going to happen with the Draft Lottery? You can read Sportsnet’s write-up here and TSN’s piece here.
- The Athletic also wrote about the plan for the 2020/21 season here.
- Some familiar faces appeared in a video for the Ottawa-Gatineau Youth Foundation! Kinda weird that they only brought in former Senators, but I guess it’s hard to figure out who’s still on the team these days./
Former Sens players are with us, are you? Join us as we launch the Ottawa-Gatineau Youth Foundation on Oct. 28 Register at ➡️https://t.co/LCNTeyeNGr— Ottawa-Gatineau Youth Foundation (@OG_YouthFdn) October 24, 2020
Thank you @ErikKarlsson65 @MelindaCurrey Mark & @taraboro @kyleturris @julieturris Bobby & Danielle Ryan @JGPageau @CamilleBeeby pic.twitter.com/x2r3bAA5bh
- The world juniors are fast approaching, and they’re apparently going to be held in a bubble in Edmonton. Conversation is starting to pick up regarding what this might look like, and TSN recently published a piece about some of the concerns going into the tournament. One thing that stands out to me in this piece is this part:/
“the federal government is considering changing out the 14-day quarantine requirement for international arrivals in exchange for producing one negative COVID test at the airport.”
There’s no way this is actually happening, right?
I know the testing rules seem excessive right now, but I thought it was common knowledge that just because you test negative once doesn’t mean that you don’t have COVID in your system and won’t start showing symptoms in a few days. Considering that, in order to get into the Atlantic bubble two months ago, I had to get tested three times and wasn’t allowed to leave my house for two weeks except to go to said tests, it seems extremely bizarre to me that the federal government is considering allowing people from all over the world to enter this bubble without self-isolating or getting more than one test. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.
- David Singh wrote a fascinating piece about the ongoing campaign to get Herb Carnegie into the hockey hall of fame. It’s a piece of hockey history that I didn’t know, so I’d recommend checking out the article and reading up on this player.
- Thinking of buying a Stützle (or should I say Stuetzle) jersey? Here’s an important PSA from the official Ottawa Senators account. Personally, I like 18 a lot better than 88./
He has decided.— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) October 23, 2020
This is the number.
This is the spelling.
You know what to do: https://t.co/Azo7gvmAxR pic.twitter.com/EsBmT9iTbp