Editors note: the Sens announced a trio of modifications to the front office this morning and this post has been edited to reflect as such.
Friends and foes, there is technically Ottawa Senators hockey this week. On Friday, the Sens Prospects hit the ice against New Jersey before taking on Pittsburgh on Saturday and wrapping things up against Montreal on Sunday. As the Prospect Tournament gets under way, the rest of the organization will be turning towards training camp.
Hockey is back.
Here's what's going on around the league right now:
- The Sens confirmed the hiring of Sean Tierney in an analytics role, while also promoting Ben Sexton to be one of DJ Smith's assistants and promoting Rob Murphy to Chief Professional Scout.
- Jake Sanderson's contract extension was a topic covered by Elliot Friedman and Jeff Marek on the 32 Thoughts Podcast.
- Bruce Garrioch is back in the writing seat and gearing up for a new season. Over the weekend, he provided updates on the sale process, Alex DeBrincat's departure, goaltending and more.
- Gary Bettman confirmed the process to wrap up the official sale of the Senators is right around the corner, likely closing sometime this coming week.
- Andrew Ladd announced his retirement from the game after 16 seasons.
- Hockey Canada held a summit in Calgary where a major area of focus was around toxic masculinity in the elite men's game as a root cause of racism, sexism, homophobia and discrimination in the sport.
- Following the signing of Ottawa's first three PWHL players, Charles Brockman at the CBC put together a great piece on the impact of Emily Clark, Brianne Jenner and Emerance Maschmeyer on the sport, league and the city of Ottawa.
- Emily Clark joined NewsTalk 580 to talk about her decision to sign in Ottawa and how excited she is to get started.
- Former NHL players Dustin Brown and Jamie Langenbrunner highlight the 2023 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame class unveiled Friday by USA Hockey.
- Kyle Dubas continued to show his Sens fandom by signing former Senator Colin White to a PTO with Pittsburgh.
- The Chicago Blackhawks are set to retire #7, in honour of Chris Chelios.
- Tampa Bay placed Josh Archibald on waivers for the purposes of terminating his contract.
- In the same breathe, the team added Tyler Motte on a cheap one year deal.
- For the Fantasy Hockey die hards in the chat, Matt Larkin's 2023-24 rankings are live.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team