It's not over, Sens fans! Although the loss to the Florida Panthers combined with the Montréal Canadiens win last night put a heck of a dent on the Sens' playoff chances, Sports Club Stats is still reporting that Ottawa still has a 0.000006 per cent chance of making the playoffs! That's about six in a million.
And you know what's even better? The Maple Leafs are OFFICIALLY, absolutely, without a doubt, eliminated from the playoffs. WE MADE IT LONGER THAN THE LEAFS! Battle of Ontario once again goes to the Senators! Good work, Ottawa! Small victories.
A commenter correctly pointed out the following circumstance that could result in the Senators making the playoffs:
The Sens could still make the playoffs with a 6-0 finish if the Canadiens go 0-6, the Panthers 0-4-1 or worse, and the Sabres 2-3-2 to make a three-way tie at 88 points and 39 wins. The Sens would win that tiebreak even though they have lost the season series to Montreal, thanks to their 10 points vs. Buffalo.
Were that exact scenario to happen, there would be a three-way tie for eighth place in the Eastern Conference between the Senators, Canadiens, and Sabres. Wouldn't that be exciting!
So... it's a virtual impossibility, but still not yet a statistical impossibility.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team