Senators forward Mike Hoffman has been suspended two games for his cross-check on Logan Couture in the third period of Wednesday night’s game against the San Jose Sharks in Ottawa.
Ottawa’s Mike Hoffman suspended two games for cross-checking San Jose’s Logan Couture. https://t.co/fs9WHlDcOp— NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) December 16, 2016
Hoffman had his phone hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety this afternoon, which meant the most discipline he could receive was five games.
The Senators have recalled Casey Bailey from Binghamton to fill the roster spot. The 25-year-old has 14 (9,5) points in 25 games in the AHL.
Also of note, Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic has been fined $5,000 for his attempted spear on Erik Karlsson late in the second period on Wednesday.
SJ's Marc-Edouard Vlasic fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for dangerous use of the stick involving OTT's Erik Karlsson.— NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) December 16, 2016
The Senators will be in tough for the next two games without one of their top scorers. The New Jersey Devils are in town Saturday night and puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team