Third try is the charm, right?
The Ottawa Senators try to get their first win of the season, but it won't be easy against the high-octane Washington Capitals in D.C. tonight. It will be our first real understanding of what it meant to allow Anton Volchenkov walk away from free agency, as he always seemed to be in his element when trying to contain Alex Ovechkin. Can a shutdown pairing of Sergei Gonchar and Chris Phillips hope to contain Ovechkin? And how effective will Matt Carkner and Chris Campoli be in shutting down the supporting staff on the Washington roster? And would Erik Karlsson and Brian Lee even have a chance of keeping a atom-aged forward line off the scoreboard, let alone an NHL-calibre team?
All this, and more. Tonight.
The teaser above outlined the changes on defence, but there's also a minor change up front, as Ryan Shannon steps in and Jesse Winchester gets to man the press box. Not sure why Winchester's the odd man out--it's not like it's the kind of benching that will wake the team up--but here's how the lines will probably look:
Pascal Leclaire will start once again.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team