The Ottawa Senators have a game tonight against the Tampa Bay Lightning, which will be interesting for a few reasons:
- Steven Stamkos is in the thick of the Rocket Richard Trophy race, and has 47 goals on the season.
- Milan Michalek is back in the lineup, replacing Ryan Shannon who will sit out.
- 2009 first round pick Jared Cowen makes his NHL debut tonight, wearing #48 and taking the place of Anton Volchenkov who will be given the night off.
I know we're all excited to see Cowen play, but it's probably worthwhile to remember that his performance will likely underwhelm us. As our friend and Spokane Chiefs season-ticket holder WrapAroundCurl FanPosted for us today:
It was unclear whether or not Cowen was back at full strength when he re-joined the team after a crippling knee injury. Since, he's been inconsistent in play. Which is worrisome considering he was named captain. Often, he played with a timidness and was checked by talent a half foot shorter and 50 pounds lighter. He seemed to forget how large he is and to utilize that.
Cowen is being put into the lineup not because he's necessarily ready, but because the team wants him to get a taste of the show. They want Cowen to see what it feels like to play an NHL game, so that in the offseason he trains as hard as possible in an effort to make the big club next year. Enjoy watching him tonight, but don't put too much weight on his performance.
As always, join us in the comments before and after the puck drops!
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team