Game 74 preview: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs on 28 March 2015.
Having fallen out of a playoff spot with the Boston Bruins win over the New York Rangers earlier this afternoon, the Ottawa Senators will try try to reclaim it with a win over the free falling Toronto Maple Leafs. The Senators will welcome back starting goaltender Craig Anderson to the lineup as well as winger Clarke MacArthur. Andrew Hammond is banged up, and may or may not backup tonight.
Here are the lines from Gord Wilson.
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Condra - Pageau - Lazar
Smith - Legwand - Chiasson
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Borowiecki - Gryba
Hammond or Driedger
Some notes for tonight:
- So the Leafs are terrible. Ottawa gets MacArthur and Anderson back. I demand a blowout tonight. 8-0 Ottawa like the good old days would do nicely.
- You got to love that Senators top six. Delicious.
- After mysteriously seeing its seven-game winning streak disappear (I don't recall any games since the win over San Jose on Monday), Ottawa will look to avoid losing consecutive games for the first time since early February.
- Ottawa hasn't lost in regulation on the road since 3 February, having gone 8-0-1.
- Erik Karlsson needs 11 points in nine games to hit 70. A big night against Toronto would help.
- The next shot on goal by Erik will set a new career high. He is currently on 261, the same total that he had in 2011-2012.
- Craig Anderson's 92.5% save percentage is tied for seventh in the NHL among goaltenders with enough games to qualify.
- Even if Andrew Hammond never plays in the NHL again, he has given the team a chance to make the playoffs in miraculous fashion. He might have also turned the club's future around, by convincing Bryan Murray that they can win without Jared Cowen, Zack Smith, Chris Neil and Chris Phillips. Not that he is the only reason they won but it helps the narrative.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||26||Phil Kessel||24|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||40||Phil Kessel||30|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||59||Phil Kessel||54|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||261||Phil Kessel||250|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:02||Dion Phaneuf||23:23|
|Score adjusted Corsi %||50.7%||18th||45.1%||27th|
|Score adjusted Fenwick %||49.1%||20th||45.0%||28th|