Well, we're finally here: The Ottawa Senators' "must-win" clock has reached Defcon 1. That's right, I'm calling this game a must-win. Not for the race to win the division, not to stay ahead of the Canadiens, but simply for the players' sanity. Everyone knows that they've looked terrible since returning from the Olympic break. Throwing out a win against Edmonton, the Senators have lost to Toronto (twice), Carolina, and the New York Rangers -- all of whom are not currently in a playoff spot. They've scored one goal or less in all of the losses. They've been outworked by teams with less to play for. They've made average goalies look like all-stars. It's been a miserable time.
There is just one way to end it.
Mike Fisher returns from a one game absence and Filip Kuba supposedly returns as well, which would give the team its first healthy lineup in many months. There are no excuses left: no flu, no injuries, no hot goaltender to go against. For this Senators team, the playoffs start tonight.
Silver Nuggets: Don't hit that panic button
As always, you are invited to join us in the comments section, which will be less dramatic than this intro... I promise.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team