The Senators are back in action tonight, after getting put in Time Out yesterday by head coach Cory Clouston. Now that the team has had time to "think about what they've done," they get to face the Crosby-less Pittsburgh Penguins. Also missing Evgeni Malkin, (gone for the year with ACL and MCL tears) this is still a dangerous team: They're 3-1-1 in their last five games, including a 3-2 win over the Northeast-leading Boston Bruins. In fact, the Penguins are just three points behind division rival Philadelphia for the Eastern Conference's top seed.
Meanwhile, Ottawa is 6-4 in their last ten, with the latest loss coming on Sunday against Buffalo, a 6-4 affair that was not as close as the score would indicate. They've recently beaten some teams they should have no chance to beat, so there's a chance they could win tonight. That's going to take great efforts from the usual suspects:
- Craig Anderson - Pulled for the first time in a Sens jersey against Buffalo. How will he respond tonight?
- Jason Spezza - Coming off a four-point night against the Sabres, and a two-game stretch of the most leaderlike play I can recall. Is the torch being passed before our eyes? His play against a team like the Penguins will speak volumes.
- Nick Foligno - Marek Svatos has mercifully been moved off of the second line. Ryan Shannon and Erik Condra have shown good chemistry by themselves. If Foligno can make it a complete line, it'll go a long way towards selling his future with the club. No one's sure if he's more than a third line player right now.
- Jim O'Brien - Just so I can shill his nickname of "Pee Wee".
- Alex Kovalev - Makes his return to Ottawa tonight, but you probably won't notice. Ha ha! See what I did there?!
As always, your presence is required in the comments section, because maybe probably something awesome will happen and then you'll have missed it and you'll always be wondering, "What if? What if...?"
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team