While the Ottawa Senators limp into this one after two frustrating losses, the New York Islanders also need to get out of the dumpster having lost three straight including a 7-4 loss to Colorado. Going by a lot of the numbers, Ottawa has a decent advantage in this game even as the road team but things, uh, haven't looked sterling since Artem Zub's injury last week.
- The Islanders also have a significant injury down the right side of their defensive depth chart as Scott Mayfield has missed several games with a reported foot injury. It turns out you actually can't have enough defenders on your roster ever.
- Obligatory Shane Pinto reminder as the Senators play in his home-ish town type vicinity.
- Ilya Sorokin, the backbone of the Islanders, has played just okay so far in an admittedly small sample of hockey. Please don't let him get hot against Ottawa.
- Ottawa has a decided advantage going by special teams as the Sens draw more penalties, score more on the powerplay, and match the Isles penalty kill (erratic goaltending notwithstanding for either team).
- At five-on-five Ottawa again has the advantage both in terms of how much they generate and how little they allow. Looking at Ottawa's shots for against, for instance, I find it hard to justify the panic around the two-game slide but also I live in Ottawa so I get it.
- To recap what has transpired since Ottawa last visited Long Island, Josh Bailey (of Ottawa Senators professional tryout fame) and Zach Parise have departed while Julien Gauthier (he also of Sens lore) has joined the likes of Jean-Gabriel Pageau on the other side.
- It also looks like New York's top line hasn't really gotten into gear yet. Don't let them.
- Go Sens Go.
Where to watch listen: RDS2, RDS2, TSN1200 @ 7:30PM EST
Lines from Last Game:
Joseph - Greig - Tarasenko
Kubalik - Norris - Batherson
Kelly - Chartier - Kastelic
Sanderson - Chabot
Chychrun - Hamonic
Brännström - Bernard-Docker
New York Islanders
Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
Holmström - Pageau - Wahlstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Pelech - Dobson
Romanov - Pulock
Bolduc - Aho