The Ottawa Senators (1-4-1) have not gotten off to the start they had hoped for.
After losing five straight games following an opening night win - the latest of which was a 7-1 smackdown at the hands of the Vancouver Canucks - the Sens are in desperate need of a turnaround. They can kickstart that effort tonight, with a rematch against those same Canucks (3-5-0), in the first of a back-to-back set.
Puckdrop is scheduled for 8pmEST, and you can catch this one on Rogers Sportsnet, as well as TVAS for our francophone friends. Of course, Dean Brown and Gord Wilson will have the radio call on TSN 1200.
After his team’s lacklustre effort two nights ago, Senators head coach D.J. Smith promised to shuffle the lineup, in an effort to light a fire under his team. All we have to go on are yesterday’s practice combos, but the most notable change would be the insertion of Colin White into the middle six. As is the case this season, expect to hear a goalie announcement at the eleventh hour, but the lines should shake out something like this:
Stützle - Tierney - C. Brown
Paul - White - Dadonov
Paquette - Stepan - Watson
Chabot - Gudbranson
Reilly - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Coburn
- Despite leaving the previous game with a lower body injury, Cedric Paquette should play tonight.
- Colin White is getting a great opportunity to cement his spot in the lineup. Off the fourth line, and playing with arguably the team’s best forward so far in Nick Paul, White has to make good on this chance.
- The seven goals that Matt Murray gave up on Monday were his most in a single game since January 16th, 2017. He gave up seven to the Washington Capitals, on 28 shots.
- Expect Thatcher Demko to start for the Canucks.
- Canucks superstar Elias Pettersson was held pointless in the 7-1 drubbing of Ottawa. He has just two points on the season, and if that’s not a guy who’s struggling, I don’t know what is.
- Drake Batherson is still looking for his first goal of the season. He’s had plenty of chances, so don’t be surprised if he finally breaks through tonight./
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team