Game 64 Preview & Open Thread: Ottawa Senators @ Nashville Predators
The stripped-down Sens wrap up their road back-to-back
The dust is settling on a busy trade deadline, and there is still hockey to play. Yes, the Sens played last night, but tonight should be a little less chaotic. They’ll be facing a team firmly planted on the playoff bubble in the Nashville Predators.
The lineup should be a bit more predictable today. Matthew Peca and Rudolfs Balcers both joined the team mid-game last night, and Balcers equipment has hopefully joined the team by now as well. Bobby Ryan is also expected to be cleared through whatever process held him out last night and available. Filip Chlapik was also recalled this morning. Anthony Duclair is confirmed out for tonight after taking a shot off the foot last night, leaving room for three of Peca, Balcers, Chlapik and Ryan to dress. One of them may sit, or it’s possible Colin White may be out tonight after leaving (though ultimately returning to) last night’s game.
Back to back means they won’t be having a morning skate, so your guess is as good as mine for what the lines will look like.
- Chlapik might be the Senators last “regular” recall of the season. Marcus Hogberg was papered down and is apparently on an emergency recall right now, but the timing and type of yesterday’s five skater recalls are about as clear as mud
- At least one of Chlapik, Peca, Andreas Englund or Christian Jaros is also on an emergency recall, or at least one of Peca, Englund or Jaros is no longer AHL-eligible for the remainder of the season (best guess on that - Peca)
- Unlike Ottawa, Nashville was pretty quiet at the trade deadline and made what were basically depth-for-depth trades
- The Senators have scored 167 goals this season. Tonight’s active, healthy roster accounts for only 79 of those goals. A full half of the team’s top 10 goal scorers this season are traded or injured
- Despite that, they’ve still got three players in the lineup tonight with more goals this season than Matt Duchene
- It’s an 8pm EST start, on TSN5 and RDS2/
Here are some statistics, with most metrics from NHL.com, except for Corsi% and xGF% from NaturalStatTrick.com:
|Goals||Anthony Duclair||23||Anze Kopitar||21|
|Assists||Thomas Chabot||33||Anze Kopitar||41|
|Points||Brady Tkachuk||43||Anze Kopitar||62|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||258||Jeff Carter||182|
|TOI/GP||Thomas Chabot||26:02||Drew Doughty||25:51|
|Penalty Kill %||76.1||26th||77.1||26th|
|Corsi % (5v5, Score and Venue Adjusted)||48.25||26th||53.13||4th|
|xGF% (5v5, SVA)||49.74||19th||51.94||8th|