Game 54 Preview and Open Thread: St Louis Blues at Ottawa Senators
An opportunity they simply cannot miss
The Ottawa Senators are (sort of) officially back in the playoff hunt. Can the Sens make a push for the final wildcard spot? They certainly have the tools to make the run, they just need the focus and drive to stay consistent.
After getting only one point against the Chicago Blackhawks, the Sens were set back a bit for their chase. However, we did get some help yesterday with losses for the Penguins, Red Wings and the Capitals. Now the Sens need to make sure they don’t repeat their last performance and ensure they capitalize on a weakened and tired St. Louis Blues team.
The Blues played in Colorado last night losing 4-1 so they will be tired, especially to start off the game. They will also be without their now former Captain Ryan O’Reilly who just got traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs alongside teammate Noel Acciari. The Sens also need to secure the 2 points against the Blues as they will have a quick turnaround for another afternoon game on Monday against the Bruins, in Boston. It doesn’t get tougher than that.
DJ Smith felt the need to shuffle some lines and is going to be experimenting a bit during the game. The lines from yesterday’s practice:
#Sens lines:— Claire Hanna (@clahanna) February 18, 2023
Update (1PM EST):
The Sens have pulled Tyler Motte from today’s game for precautionary reasons related to attempts to trade him.
- While Cam Talbot was skating with the team yesterday, his status is still unknown. It is doubtful that he plays today but we could see him back against the Bruins
- Thomas Chabot had a rough game against the Blackhawks, all eyes will be on him to show that he can get back to form quickly after a bad game
- Not sure I like separating DeBrincat and Giroux but it seems DJ Smith has other ideas
- The Sens defense really need to do better protecting the young goalies who have done very well so far considering the circumstances
- Drake Batherson needs to be better 5v5, and he needs to make better defensive decisions
- Jordan Binnington played last night, so it is expected that the Sens will face Thomas Greiss. The Sens have a history with backup goalies so hopefully they will be able to breakthrough their pattern this afternoon.
- If you’re heading over to the game, don’t forget to arrive early to pick up a Sens Star Wars lightsaber
- The game starts at 2:00PM and you can watch it on TSN5 or Listen Live at TSN1200/
|Goals||Tim Stützle||31||Jared McCann||31|
|Assists||Brady Tkachuk||40||Jordan Eberle||37|
|Points||Brady Tkachuk/Tim Stützle||66||Jordan Eberle||51|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||259||Oliver Bjorkstrand||161|
|Time on Ice/GP||Thomas Chabot||25:31||Adam Larsson||23:54|
|Penalty Kill %||83.1||5th||74.6||26th|
|Corsi % (5v5 SVA)||51.62||10th||52.26||5th|
|xGF % (5v5 SVA)||51.89||14th||50.21||19th|