It is game #54 of the season, which means we are almost at the 2/3rds point of the season. The Ottawa Senators have lost four in a row and host the New York Islanders tonight. The Islanders have only one regulation loss in their last six, going 4-1-1 in that span. So while this is a very winnable game for Ottawa, they can't take it for granted. Not that a team on a four-game losing streak can take anything for granted.
Here are the lines for today:
More after the jump.
Here are some things to look out for tonight:
- Score the first goal: The Senators have allowed the first goal in eight straight games. Can they fix this tonight and dominate from start to finish?
- Spezza struggling: Jason Spezza doesn't have a point in four straight games and missed practise today. A return to form from Spezza would be very helpful.
- Contain Tavares: John Tavares had four points in Carolina in his last game. He's had 11 goals and 15 assists for an incredible 26 points in his last 15 games. Shutting him down will be key.
- Crowd energy: This is the first home game for the Senators since the all-star game. What kind of atmosphere will we see and hear?
- Don't look ahead: The Senators host Toronto tomorrow night, but they simply cannot afford to look past this Islanders team, especially with the current losing streak.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team