Game 49 Preview and Open Thread: New Jersey Devils at Ottawa Senators
Do you remember Ottawa Senators hockey? It’s okay if you don’t. Nine days feels a lot longer during the dead of winter in Ottawa. Good news though, the Sens are back tonight! And they actually have a pretty good chance of winning at home!
Anthony Duclair and Brady Tkachuk got back from St. Louis yesterday although they did not participate in practice. Likewise for Filip Chlapik and Drake Batherson whom the team called up from Belleville. All four should find themselves in the lineup against New Jersey and Jean-Gabriel Pageau should return to action as well. Expect Goloubef to get scratched on defence and one of Mikkel Boedker or Scott Sabourin up front.
- This one could end up pretty close as both teams seem lottery-bound this spring. Ottawa has the advantage in net especially if Marcus Hogberg starts and that could make the difference for the home team. Like Pageau, Kyle Palmieri should return to action for the Devils after missing time with injury so both teams will get a boost on offence.
- Jack Hughes' NHL career has gotten off to a modest start with 17 points in his first 40 games although he hasn't had much to work with in terms of quality of teammates. Fellow former first overall pick Nico Hischier should provide some hope as he has accumulated 128 points in his first 194 games very quietly. Does any team fly under the radar the way the Devils do?
- Given their places in the overall standings, both teams should avoid another overtime finish tonight. In the last meeting between these two teams, the aforementioned Jack Hughes played the role of overtime hero while Sami Vatanen racked up three assists for the Devils.
- Expect plenty of pro scouts at this one as New Jersey has some veteran players who could move before the trade deadline including Wayne Simmonds and Sami Vatanen (and maybe P.K. Subban?). I won't reiterate Ottawa's pre-deadline situation as we have covered it at length on this site.
- Catch the action at 7:30 on TSN5, RDS, or TSN1200/
|Goals||Anthony Duclair||23||Anze Kopitar||21|
|Assists||Thomas Chabot||33||Anze Kopitar||41|
|Points||Brady Tkachuk||43||Anze Kopitar||62|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||258||Jeff Carter||182|
|TOI/GP||Thomas Chabot||26:02||Drew Doughty||25:51|
|Penalty Kill %||78.8||20th||82.8||7th|
|Corsi % (5v5, Score and Venue Adjusted)||47.23||27th||48.07||26th|
|Fenwick % (5v5, SVA)||47.71||27th||48.19||24th|