In the spirit of not bumming everyone out on a Saturday and of basking in the much-needed revelry of Thursday night: Go Sens Go. The Ottawa Senators obviously have their work cut out for them with a very tough opponent today but that has never stopped us from watching this team before, right? Weird things happen during matinees so who knows. Optimism is today's theme.
This very well-rested Winnipeg Jets team last played at home against Islanders on Tuesday and won 4-2 so, yeah, that doesn't help Ottawa's case and neither does the fact that the Jets just seem to win a lot. They currently lead their rather competitive division. As a reminder: Ottawa enjoyed a brilliant, hater-ass victory at home on Thursday.
- Winnipeg has arguably the best goaltending in the NHL and their record reflects that naturally. Even if Ottawa faces back-up Laurent Brossoit, that doesn't offer much by the way of relief.
- At five-on-five, Winnipeg's offence (2.65 xGF/60) is comparable to Ottawa's but on defence the Jets (2.41 xGA/60) have a pronounced advantage in allowing less chances.
- Winnipeg's powerplay (6.65 xGF/60) seems surprisingly bad, and resides at the bottom of the league in terms of generating offence whereas Ottawa ranks about middle of the pack. Neither team has had a tonne of shooting luck in these situations.
- Winnipeg's penalty kill (8.42 xGA/60) looks very similar to Ottawa's but the Jets naturally get better goaltending (although nothing like their superlative even strength numbers).
- Injuries of note: Ottawa still doesn't have Anton Forsberg
or Josh Norriswhile Winnipeg awaits the returns of David Gustafsson and Mark Scheifele—significant absences down the middle for the Jets.
- Josh Norris returns to the lineup this afternoon. Greig will stay with Tkachuk and Giroux, with Norris slotting in to another line. No word on who comes out to make space.
Where to watch/listen: SN, TVAS, TSN1200 @ 3PMEST
Lines from Last Game:
Joseph - Stützle - Batherson
Kelly - Chartier - Tarasenko
Kubalik - Kastelic - MacEwen
Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chychrun
Brännström - Bernard-Docker
Perfetti - Namestnikov - Ehlers
Niederreiter - Toninato - Appleton
Barron - Kupari - Iafallo
Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt