It will be a busy new year's eve for hockey fans in Ottawa today, and the Ottawa Senators take on the Columbus Blue Jackets just a short while after Canada and Sweden take each other on in the 2011 World Junior Championships. Let's just hope there's not a drop in excitement between the two...
Some players I'll be watching tonight:
- Jim O`Brien: The 2007 first-rounder has been having an awesome season so far, and he's going to make his NHL debut tonight. He sounded excited in a pre-game interview, and I'm excited to see what he can do on the ice.
- Brian Lee: He's taking the place of Filip Kuba tonight, which is kind of a huge deal. But if he plays a solid game, he'll likely see a few more of them.
- Brian Elliott: Really needs to bounce back from a weak last game. Cory Clouston seems reticent to give Mike Brodeur a start, but a bad outing by Elliott might just force his hand.
- Erik Karlsson: By far, the hottest Senator right now, and--as sad as it sounds, considering he's a 20-year-old defenceman--our offence seems to depend on him.
- Sergei Gonchar: Also needs a bounce-back game if he doesn't want to swap places with Kuba in the near future.
Join us here before heading out to get plastered to talk about the Sens-Jackets game, and whatever else is going on.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team