The Ottawa Senators limp into Calgary having lost 400 consecutive games on the road against Western Conference teams and have somehow already lost 50 games this season despite playing just 35 overall. Meanwhile The Flames lost in Chicago on Sunday so expect a motivated Calgary team to score seven goals (in the first period). For what it's worth, the Sens won the first game of this season series 4-1. The Flames find themselves within striking distance of playoffs in the West while the Senators--do not.
The good news? Mathieu Joseph returns to the line-up after a 10 game absence. He's likely to start the game on the first line beside Brady Tkachuk and Josh Norris.
- Injuries for the Senators: Rourke Chartier and possibly Artem Zub. Zub is a game-time decision while battling the flu. Injuries for the Flames: Dennis Gilbert, Oliver Kylington, and Kevin Rooney (I have heard of one of those players but not since draft day 2015).
- Calgary has gotten league-average goaltending from Jakob Markstrom and sub-replacement level goaltending from Dan Vladar. I would say that I hope Ottawa gets Vladar tonight but also I need to reiterate for the twentieth time that Ottawa's goaltenders have such bad numbers overall that I can't even broach the subject anymore.
- Calgary generates more chances at five-on-five (2.60 xGF/60) than Ottawa but unlike the Sens, the Flames have had no luck shooting (8.08%) at even strength this season.
- On defence, the Flames allow less in terms of expected goals at five-on-five (2.54 xGA/60) but have somehow had even worse even strength goaltending than Ottawa (90.23%).
- Both teams have average powerplays in terms of generating chances (8.29 xGF/60 for Calgary) but neither team can buy a PP goal with the Flames shooting 8.56% (worse even than Ottawa).
- Both teams give up a lot of chances on penalty kill (8.80 xGA/60 for the Flames) but Calgary gets good PK goaltending (89.53%) while Ottawa's ranks dead last in league.
Where to watch/listen: RDS, SNW, TSN5 @ 9PM EST
Lines from Last Game
Tarasenko - Stützle - Giroux
Kelly - Greig - Kubalik
MacEwen - Kastelic - Bernard-Docker*
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Brännström - Hamonic
Zary - Kadri - Pospisil
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Greer - Dube - Duehr
Hanifin - Tanev
Weegar - Andersson
Oesterle - DeSimone