The Ottawa Senators will look to finish a disappointing road trip on a positive note when they visit the surging New York Islanders. Ottawa has lost three of the first four games on its current road trip while the Islanders have won 10 out of their last 12 games.
The Senators will make two changes to the lineup with Zack Smith and Mark Borowiecki returning to the lineup for Colin Greening and Patrick Wiercioch. Craig Anderson will start.
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Condra - Legwand - Neil
Michalek - Smith - Lazar
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Borowiecki - Karlsson
Phillips - Gryba
Cowen - Ceci
Some notes for tonight:
- Ottawa is three points behind the last wild card spot and a whopping nine points behind third place in the division. If they are going to make the playoffs, it's looking increasingly likely that it is only possible as a wild card.
- The Senators are still allowing a ton of shots but not winning as much any more. This is because the goaltenders' save percentage has dropped significantly. I can only conclude that this is because the Senators are no longer keeping the shots to the outside and clearing the net like they used to.
- There was a bit of panic on twitter this morning when Erik Karlsson wasn't present at practice. Thankfully the greatest player in club history will indeed play tonight.
- On the down side, Mark Borowiecki is back in the lineup. *audible groan* Chris Phillips is also still around. *screams*
- So the Senators have no chance tonight right?
- While there is a lot of talk about the Senators defensive game, they are also now 25th in shots for per game.
- I am sure there is a reason to be hopeful for the Senators for the rest of the season but I haven't thought of it. Yes this is a depressing preview, oh well. In my defence, I am also quite busy at work.
- 11 of Karlsson's 17 points have been on the power play. Probably because Borowiecki and Phillips aren't with him on the power play am I right!?/
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from naturalstattrick.com.
|Goals||Clarke MacArthur||8||John Tavares||10|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||11||Kyle Okposo||16|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||17||John Tavares||23|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||89||Kyle Okposo||77|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:45||Johnny Boychuk||22:09|
|Shots Against||35.2||29th||28.8||11th |