Tonight's game against the Carolina Hurricanes will mark the first home game for the Ottawa Senators in 18 days. Ottawa last won at home on 30 October and tonight is their last chance to win at home in November. Also, contrary to some earlier rumours, there has been no new scoreboard installed during the road trip.
The Senators will make two changes, with David Rundblad replacing Brian Lee and Nikita Filatov coming in for Stéphane Da Costa. Ottawa did not practise today but according to Ian Mendes, Filatov will play in the top six with either Jason Spezza or Nick Foligno. Here is my guess for the lines:
Talking points and statistics after the jump.
Here are my talking points for tonight's game:
- Rebounding from Friday: The Senators were completely awful in Pittsburgh. They were down 4-1 just 9:11 into the game and Craig Anderson couldn't give them a save. Allowing a goal from behind the net was unacceptable and he has to be better tonight.
- Foligno as centre: Nick Foligno will get to play centre tonight. There is much more to playing centre than taking face-offs, but Foligno has won only 6 out of 29 face-offs so far this season. He is coming off a two point effort in Pittsburgh, where he also took an elbow to the head from Sidney Crosby and then called him out for it. I liked Foligno's game and hope to see more of the same.
- Filatov returns: Nikita Filatov will return tonight and will play in the top six. This will be his fourth game in four nights, so it will be interesting to see how much jump he has and how much ice time he gets.
- First game back at home: The Senators haven't played a game at home in a while. It is often said that the first game back at home after a long trip is a tough one. But the Senators had practised at home for a while before the Pittsburgh game. Hopefully Ottawa can come out flying at the start.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team