Game 20 preview: Philadelphia Flyers @ Ottawa Senators
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and the Philadelphia Flyers on 21 November 2015.
The Ottawa Senators end a run of five straight games at home with tonight's matchup against the Philadelphia Flyers. Ottawa won 3-0 against Lumbus on Thursday and has gone 2-0-2 in the four home games. The Flyers have lost 10 out of the last 12 (2-6-4) but have points in the last three going 1-0-2.
With Patrick Wiercioch injured, Jared Cowen returns to the lineup. Craig Anderson will start in net.
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Puempel - Zibanejad - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Smith - Lazar - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Since Don Brennan's article on Erik Karlsson's lack of goals, the captain has five goals and four assists in his last five games. Great timing that.
- Mike Hoffman definitely looks like the team's best forward these days. Regardless of how his linemates are doing, Hoffman has the ability to create chances on his own. His speed, his stick handling and his shot are all wonderful to watch.
- You often go the entire game without realising that Matt Puempel is playing. And by you I mean myself.
- Cody Ceci has been an unmitigated disaster away from Patrick Wiercioch this season. Hopefully the second pairing can stay afloat tonight. Not that it has been great with Wiercioch but...yikes.
- The 25 shots allowed on Thursday tied a season low for the Senators.
- Ottawa doesn't have a lot of regulation wins but only four teams have fewer regulation losses than Ottawa.
- Jakub Voracek has 1 goal on 65 shots.
- I am typing this from a bus so I don't have anything further to say. Go Sens though!/
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||8||Claude Giroux||6|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||16||Jakub Voracek||8|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||21||Claude Giroux||13|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||49||Jakub Voracek||65|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:05||Michael Del Zotto||23:21|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.6%||24th||47.0%||25th|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||47.0%||25th||46.1%||26th|