Game 2 Preview and Open Thread: Senators @ Maple Leafs
The Senators look to take their second straight against the Maple Leafs to begin the season
In the last two seasons, the Ottawa Senators have begun their season with a win against the Toronto Maple Leafs, with 3-2 being the result on Thursday. Last season though, the two teams squared off in the very next game and Toronto got the better of them in that matchup. Ottawa’s hoping this time will be different, especially considering they lost their next nine games and 13 of 14 last time around.
Despite being taken over by many Leafs fans at the Canadian Tire Centre, it still looked like a fun atmosphere to be a part of. However, tonight will be much more difficult for this young Senators team which includes a lot of players who have yet to play in front of a Toronto crowd. Scotiabank Arena will be loud and hopefully the Senators will be up for it.
Here are tonight’s projected lines:
Ottawa and Toronto square off for the second consecutive time tonight. ⚔️ pic.twitter.com/fPygqJCk9U— Everyday Sens (@EverydaySens) October 16, 2021
#Leafs line rushes during morning skate:— David Alter (@dalter) October 16, 2021
Bishop* (amateur call up tonight)
- Considering Ottawa and Toronto have only played one and two games respectively, there isn’t much value in looking at team leaders.
- The Maple Leafs will still be without Auston Matthews, which certainly makes it a lot easier for Ottawa to make it close.
- With Petr Mrazek injured and the Maple Leafs right against the cap, they’re forced to sign a UofT goalie (Alex Bishop) to an Amateur Tryout tonight. EBUG anyone?
- The lines are the same tonight as Thursday, which worked quite well. However, DJ Smith mentioned that Michael Del Zotto could get into the lineup tomorrow against Dallas.
- Matt Murray won’t be back with the team until at least Thursday due to his bout with the flu:/
Roster update: #Sens goaltender Matt Murray has been placed on IR retroactive to Oct. 12.— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) October 15, 2021
Murray will be eligible to return to the team's lineup on Thursday vs @SanJoseSharks.
It’s more bad luck for him, and I sure hope he’ll be ready to go by next week.
- Brady Tkachuk obviously isn’t playing tonight but DJ Smith thinks Thursday could be the night.
- Of the 17 times the Leafs scored two or fewer goals in a game last season, they only followed that up with another two or fewer goal performance five times. It’ll be difficult to stop their offense again.
- Parker Kelly only played 9:39 last game but he looked electric, which is exactly what they’ll need if they want to have any chance against teams that are deeper on paper than the Senators. He rocked a 93.35 xGF% in his short time on ice...
- The game begins at 7:00 EST and can be seen on CBC, Sportsnet Ontatrio, and Sportsnet West./
Let’s hope the Senators can make it a winning streak tonight!