The Ottawa Senators will play the first game of a home-and-home with the Red Wings with the first game in Detroit tonight. The Senators ended a four-game losing streak with a 5-4 shootout win over the Calgary Flames on Wednesday. The Red Wings lost for the fifth time in six games with Tuesday's 3-1 loss at home to the Carolina Hurricanes.
Ottawa will go with the same lineup except Andrew Hammond starts in net. Here are the lines.
Prince - Turris - Stone
Puempel - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
McCormick - Smith - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Borowiecki (*gulps*)
Some notes for tonight:
- Aside from when Erik Karlsson was on the ice, the Senators were ripped to pieces against a terrible Flames team. During 5-on-5 play, shots on goal were 10-9 for Ottawa with Karlsson on the ice and 19-7 for Calgary with Karlsson off the ice. In terms of attempted shots, it was 21-18 for Ottawa with Karlsson on the ice and 36-17 for Calgary with Karlsson on the bench.
- On a related note, how long is this Mark Borowiecki and Jared Cowen experiment going to linger on? It is well past comical that Chris Wideman continues to sit. The Patrick Wiercioch and Cody Ceci pairing were also awful on Wednesday.
- Mike Hoffman is closing in on a return and might be back for tomorrow's return game against the Wings. Can't come fast enough.
- All four of the Senators overtime games have gone to a shootout. Only five out of 25 games for the rest of the league have gone to a shootout. This contrasts with the rest of the Senators games having plenty of goals for both teams.
- Erik Karlsson isn't too pleased by the 3-on-3 format. He finds it boring and tiring.
- Detroit really does seem like a mess right now. They are last in the NHL in shots per game. Is it the injury to Pavel Datsyuk? Or just a short blip? Or missing Mike Babcock? In any case the Senators have another winnable game.
- It was nice to see Bobby Ryan finally score on a goaltender. Will it continue?/
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||5||Gustav Nyquist||4|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||9||Henrik Zetterberg||9|
|Points||Kyle Turris||10||Henrik Zetterberg||11|
|Shots||Kyle Turris||24||Dylan Larkin||23|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:54||Niklas Kronwall||22:53|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||49.8%||17th||47.6%||23rd|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||49.6%||19th||45.3%||25th|