The Senators confirmed on Twitter this morning that captain Erik Karlsson would make his much anticipated return to the lineup, after missing just five games with a foot injury.
The team performed surprisingly well without their star defenseman, going an impressive 3-0-2 and scoring nineteen goals, including five on the powerplay. Karlsson's return comes after a particularly dominant road trip through Western Canada. While there is no way the team would have been able to maintain that level of play without its captain, it's reassuring to see that there's still a lot of talent in the lineup behind Karlsson.
Karlsson was expected to miss a lot more time after undergoing surgery in June, but being Erik Karlsson, healed like Wolverine and got back on the ice early. Let's all hope he's fully healed and that the foot won't be a problem later on in the season.
This announcement comes just one day after the team reassigned defenseman Thomas Chabot to Belleville.
Karlsson's first game of the season will be played at home against the Vancouver Canucks, at 7:30 EST on Tuesday. You can watch it live on TSN5.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team