With multiple teams mentioned today (San Jose Sharks, Washington Capitals, Vegas Golden Knights, Tampa Bay Lightning) as suitors for Erik Karlsson, Pierre Dorion was unable to get a deal done for his franchise player.
According to Bob McKenzie, Vegas was the team who came closest; likely because they could’ve taken on Bobby Ryan’s contract.
VGK was the team in the hardest on Erik Karlsson in the final hour but did not get a deal done with OTT.— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) February 26, 2018
Right afterwards, Vegas traded a first (2018), second (2019), and third (2021) to Detroit for Tomas Tatar, while Tampa Bay put together a massive package for their Plan B: Ryan McDonagh.
We’ll be updating this post with news as it breaks.
UPDATE: Tampa Bay traded two prospects (LD Libor Hajek, F Brett Howden), a roster player (Vladislav Namestnikov), and two picks (2018 1st, conditional 2nd) for Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team