The Elmira Jackals announced the hiring of Malcolm Cameron as the team's head coach today. Cameron is an eight-year veteran of the East Coast Hockey League for a few teams, most recently for the Florida Everblades. His all-time ECHL head coaching record is 295-149-59, good for a .645 winning percentage.
So, how is this relevant to the Ottawa Senators? Well, Elmira is the 'AA' affiliate of the Sens, so it seems like this move might be a part of the ongoing reconstruction of Ottawa's player development infrastructure. I'm sure Bryan Murray and the Senators organization had some input in the hiring, and--although, to be honest, I have no idea how Cameron coaches--I'd wager he's in the vein of Cory Clouston and Binghamton head coach Don Nachbaur in terms of style.
Although the Jackals had a very strong regular season in 2009-10 finishing with a 37-26-9 record (good for first in the East Division), they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs--by the Cameron-coached Florida Everblades. With a number of key players returning, it's expected Elmira will do well again. Cameron will be a big part in any success.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team