Notorious "bad guy" Chris Kelly won the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins last night. It would have been nice to see the Ottawa Senators do something like that, but I'm sure most Sens fans were happy to see Kels hoist the Cup--he's always been a very likable player, and his style (while nothing flashy) was highly respected by most Ottawa supporters. Kelly becomes the third Ottawa Senators draft pick to have his name engraved there.
Unfortunately, the fact that the Bruins won the Cup means that the second-round pick the Senators received in exchange for Kelly is literally as late as it could possibly be at 61st overall (it would have been 60th, but there was a compensatory draft pick awarded that dropped the pick even lower). Still a chance of drafting a good player at that spot, but the chance isn't as high as it could have been.
Congratulations to Kelly for winning the Cup. I wonder if he'll bring it to Ottawa...
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team