TSN is reporting that Chris Campoli and a conditional 7th round pick have been traded to Chicago for a 2nd round pick (which will be the latest of Chicago's three picks -- they hold their own, Calgary's, and Atlanta's) and Ryan Potulny.
Campoli has been arguably Ottawa's best all-around defender this season, and given his young age and cheap contract he would have been a good guy to keep for the Senate Reform. However, the Chris Phillips extension (along with the glut of unmoveable contracts on the blueline) meant that someone had to go, and Campoli certainly had the most value.
As far as the deal goes, it's good value for Campoli. That second rounder could be a mid-round pick if the Blackhawks don't improve, and Potulny is a good depth addition for the Senators.
#16 / Center
Sep 05, 1984
Potulny is a 26 year old centreman who had 15 goals and 32 points with the Edmonton Oilers last season. He's spent most of the season in the AHL with the Rockford IceHogs, where he has 41 points in 58 games. Chances are he'll get a look in Ottawa at the end of this season, but it's also possible that he'll help out Binghamton in their playoff run.
Do you like the deal?
|Good return for Campoli||265|
|Should have gotten more||39|
|We shouldn't have traded him for any price||38|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team