Bryan Murray has passed away, the team confirmed this afternoon. Murray had bravely been fighting stage 4 colon cancer for over two and a half years.
Murray was one of the most beloved figures not only among Ottawa Senators fans, but throughout the NHL. As we are seeing from today’s outpouring, so many people that met Murray have a great story to tell about the Shawville legend.
Our thoughts are with his family today.
The Sens’ official statement is below:
"Bryan was one of the greatest men that the game of hockey has ever known and also a great father, mentor and teacher," said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. "We extend our sincere condolences to his wife, Geri, daughters, Heide and Brittany and the entire Murray family on their loss."
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team