Mere minutes after posting that Silver Nuggets that questioned who will be sent down to make room for Anton Volchenkov, the Senators answered the question by sending Brian Lee back to Binghamton. More surprising, though, is that Erik Karlsson was called up. (link)
From the sounds of it, Volchenkov will not be ready for gametime tomorrow against the Bruins, which is why the team still needs another defenseman. But why is Erik Karlsson getting the call-up when it means the team will be burning off a year of his entry-level contract if he plays? I realize that Bryan Murray said that he didn't care about the ten game marker for ELCs, but I just assumed he was lying. Didn't everyone?
This becomes more confusing because, if you ask me, Brian Lee has actually been playing good hockey as of late. He's been tougher on the puck, had some nice passes, and strong rushes. Sending him back to the AHL while promoting Karlsson is only going to infuriate Lee, who is probably sick of constantly changing his address.
Karlsson has 11 points in 12 games with the Binghamton Senators, all assists, including three assists in a game last night.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team