Despite having some wild hockey stories of my own, it's always good to be able to hear a few more. McKenzie (of TSN Hockey Insider fame) has some doozies - perhaps the most popular of which is when he called two stick measurements during an atoms game - but there's more than just hockey-related shenanigans to be found here. Underlying the ridiculous tales of hockey parents (or players) gone awry is a very deep passion for the game at all levels, most notably minor hockey. This isn't Bob bragging about his connections or his kids' hockey skills (he constantly brings up his oldest son Mike's less than stellar skating), this is Bob showing his vast array of experiences with minor hockey, and trying to help future hockey parents from making the same mistakes he has made or witnessed.
If you're looking for a close look at what it's like to be have a Blackberry loaded with phone numbers of hockey players, scouts, agents, and GMs, you'll have to hope Bob puts out another book, because this one doesn't cover that. However, if you want an entertaining, funny, and honest book about minor league hockey and the people within it, you're unlikely to find a better one than Hockey Dad. Highly recommended for those who have been through the experience, or those who have a kid that is going through it right now. I bought this copy for my father, a man who has seen it all in minor hockey, and will undoubtedly love every page.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team