Anton Volchenkov has been sent home from the World Hockey Championship with what the NHL would call a "lower body injury." The only news articles I could find on the subject in English call it a "leg injury," while there are rumors about that it is a broken bone in his right foot, potentially his pinky toe (this is suggested by this Google translation of a Russian news article). The injury was sustained in Russia's 5-0 win over Germany last Friday, and some reports have even said that Anton was injured by blocking a shot taken by our very own Christoph Schubert.
The foot will have plenty of time to heal before the start of next season, so here's hoping the injury is not too serious.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team