This was hardly a surprising move, as it was known when Hammond went down with a groin injury that he'd be back in just a couple weeks. Matt O'Connor reportedly joined the Sens in part because he wanted at least a year to develop in the AHL and figured the team could give him that option. In a way, it's nice O'Connor got the chance to have his first career NHL start before heading down to the minors.
Though we had a few games of it last year, this is the true beginning of the Craig Anderson/Andrew Hammond era in Ottawa. With Ottawa playing back-to-back against the Blue Jackets and Penguins on Wednesday and Thursday, Hammond could very well see his first start of the season.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team