Here’s yet another LNN with no major Ottawa Senators news to talk about. At least we got that Sabourin signing?
- Well, it’s finally happening. NHL teams will have small ads on their jerseys in 2022-23. It kind of felt inevitable, but it still sucks to see it happening. For now, we’re only looking at one small ad on each player’s jersey, which isn’t too egregious. Still, it feels like a big step, and potentially something that could open the door for more advertising in the future. I just don’t like how pervasive advertising is and wish I didn’t have to see it on NHL jerseys. The idea has led to some fun speculation about what kinds of ads we’ll see though. It would obviously be amazing to see Uber ads on Sens jerseys, but I’m personally partial to the idea of a Chris Wideman Habs jersey with an Uber ad on it. Also, can we all agree that Robillard Hearing Centres is the only ad that would actually improve a jersey? Can we help make this happen?
- After being delayed twice, the Women’s Worlds officially begin tomorrow. The Ice Garden has been previewing each team (Canada’s is right here), and they have an introduction to the tournament for anyone who needs it. There’s also still time to join their fantasy league if you’re into fantasy hockey.
- I’ve long said that the real “Canada’s Team” is the team that defeats the last remaining Canadian team. It seems that the Tampa Bay Lightning are out to prove me right: Mathieu Joseph recently ate poutine out of the Stanley Cup, and now Yanni Gourde is eating maple taffy out of it. I hope they keep doing this. Die mad about it, Habs fans.
- Former Senator Mike Hoffman has joined Chris Wideman as a member of the Habs. If his departure from the Sens had gone down any differently, I might have felt betrayed by this, but given what actually happened, I’d say this is a good fit.
- In light of the MLB’s recently announced partnership with Barstool Sports, Media Matters wrote a nice overview of Barstool’s long, long history of racism, misogyny and harassment. It’s worth looking through if you’re still not totally sure what the fuss is about with them, although what’s really impressive to me is the fact that I can name about 10 other egregious incidents just off the top of my head. I’m not even sure it’s possible to make a list of every awful thing they’ve done. And yes, I’m slightly offended that the girlboss video that featured me wasn’t included in this list.
- For subscribers to The Athletic: it’s time to vote in their annual fan confidence survey, where you rate your team’s management group. I’m really curious to see where the Sens rank this year, given how much has changed since last year.
- Here’s a rare heartwarming story about inclusion in hockey: Luke Prokop talked about his first NHL development camp since coming out as gay, and it sounds like the Predators are handling things pretty well.
- Finally, our boys are getting a bit of recognition outside of Ottawa! The NHL released its list of the top 100 forwards and top 50 defensemen for fantasy hockey. Tkachuk, Norris and Batherson all ranked in the top 100 - with Tkachuk at #14 - and Chabot made the top 50 for defensemen. No, Zub did not make the top 50, but this is fantasy hockey we’re talking about. I will still be sending the NHL a strongly worded letter.