- On Monday, we talked about how the Sens loaned Vitaly Abramov to Finland for a few months before training camp. Well, it turns out that his new team already has a COVID-19 outbreak! Abramov isn’t at risk as he’s still in quarantine, but it will definitely be interesting to see how this affects their season.
This is where Vitaly Abramov got loaned to. Abramov had to quarantine for two weeks anyway (due to travel), not joining his Jukurit teammates until the end of the month, but now his entire team/junior team will be quarantining as well. Liiga season scheduled to get underway Oct 1 https://t.co/uWarwaklNS— Paul (@PaulGb_) September 8, 2020
- It sounds like the draft is going to happen sooner than expected! Free Agency is apparently going to open on the 9th. I’ll admit I don’t know a lot about the draft this year, but be sure to check out the excellent coverage other Silver Seven writers have been providing.
Believe the 2020 NHL Draft will be moved up to October 6 and 7, from the original tentative dates of October 9 and 10.— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman) September 8, 2020
- Brad Weir has been named senior director of the Senators Community Foundation, the organization set to replace the Sens Foundation. Still no word on those new jerseys, though.
- Uh…. this?
- For clarity: several teams reduced staff pay during the pandemic, so that isn’t completely unusual or just a Sens thing. The Sens are, however, apparently the only team to extend that to the coaching staff which is just… so very Sens, isn’t it? Honestly, I think the staff members probably need money more than the coaches do, so I think reducing staff pay is the more morally reprehensible thing, but it is very funny that the Sens are so cheap that they even tried to cut back on coaches salaries. Love 2 cheer for this team.
- Matt Dumba recently appeared on the Saskatchewan Hockey Association podcast to to talk about diversity in hockey and the HDA.
- The latest episode of the Burn It All Down podcast talks about the wildcat strike that happened across the sports world a few weeks ago and is well worth a listen
- For those with subscriptions to The Athletic: Local treasure Hailey Salvain writes about our collective son Brady Tkachuk potentially being the cornerstone player the Sens need.