With the draft now firmly behind us, the Sens’ annual Development Camp is the last on-ice event before the summer well and truly begins. This year’s camp runs from Tuesday the 25th through to Saturday the 29th and will feature 44 players, 20 of which are Senators prospects already with the organization. Drake Batherson, Erik Brannstrom, Logan Brown, Rudolfs Balcers, and Alex Formenton will be joined by all six of the 2019 draft picks. Brady Tkachuk, who famously made the big team right out of training camp last year, will not be participating in any of the on-ice activities.
Speaking of on-ice activities, they will as usual be open to the public. This year the event will be split between the Kanata Recreation Complex and the Bell Sensplex.
Full Schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, June 25: 1:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 26: 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, June 27: 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 7 p.m. (pre-game skate and full team scrimmage at Kanata Recreation Complex)
- Saturday, June 29: 3:10 p.m. (warm-up) to 4:30 p.m. (3-on-3 tournament)
Other News and Notes:
- Reviews of the Sens’ draft haven’t been exactly stellar, but Corey Pronman did have some positive things to say about Lassi Thomson and Mads Sogaard. Pronman believes Thomson projects as a solid NHL defenseman and he’s pretty high on Sogaard but the rest of the picks were underwhelming. Overall, Dorion and crew get a C from Pronman. For what it’s worth, Pronman gave the Sens a B last year. Corey’s one of the most respected evaluators of prospects in the whole business, so if you’re not too up on these things I highly recommend his work.
- There was a not-insignificant amount of buzz that the Sens might be willing to take on a bad contract or two in exchange for a draft pick or a prospect, but nothing came of it this weekend. Maybe the Sens were never going to help the Leafs out of their cap hell, but Carolina made exactly the kind of trade you’d hope the Sens would be looking into. The Vegas Golden Knights could still use a little bit of breathing room, however. Stay tuned.