Over the past week, the Senators lost all three games, by a combined score of 18-6. We saw the dystopian future that is an Erik Karlsson-less Sens team, and then saw the team continue to fall apart with him back in the lineup. So all that goes to show, slim pickin’s this week for “stars”.
- Thomas Chabot. “Hotsam Batcho” had two points in three games, and with EK out, Guy Boucher trusted him to play 25 and 22 minutes in those two games. It’s nice to see a little bit of the future of this team in the present, and see him not look out of place.
- Bobby Ryan. Two points seems enough to be a star, but more than that, he played 20 minutes against the Hurricanes, and even 18 against the Panthers. Both are way up. Injuries have been such a problem for him this season, so it’s nice to see him healthy enough to play significant minutes.
- Filip Chlapik. Played 17 minutes against Florida, and then scored his first NHL goal against the Oilers. Good enough for third star this week.
- Christian Wolanin played two games and looks like he could have an NHL future. That was almost good enough for one of the stars.
- Not in the NHL, but Filip Gustavsson played his first game in North America, earning Belleville an 8-2 win with a 37-save performance. Looking forward to hopefully him and Marcus Hogberg splitting the crease next year.
- The goalies are back to their regular ways of this regular season.
- Mike Hoffman had a couple times against the Oilers where he looked like he’d just given up defensively. Not great for a guy who also was rumoured to have to atone for lack of effort in practice.
- A -4 against the Panthers was enough to have Ben Harpur dropped from 19 minutes to 12.5. Which I mean, is probably better for him if the team recognizes he’s not a top-pairing guy.
Who to watch
Last week I called Chlapik to get his first NHL goal and I was right. Look for Wolanin to get a point this week.