After a game in which the disparity between them and the NHL’s top-tier teams was on full display, the Ottawa Senators (14-15-4) will try to close that gap tonight when the Nashville Predators (22-10-1) come to town.
The Predators, who are currently sitting in second place in the Western Conference, are riding a three-game winning streak. One that began with a 3-1 win over Ottawa just six days ago. The Senators, meanwhile, are looking to reset after the third 5-2 loss to the Montréal Canadiens in a week and a half.
Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30ET, and you can catch this one on TSN5, TSN2, RDS, and FS-Tennessee for our friends in the land of country music. As always, Dean Brown and Gord Wilson will have the call on TSNRadio 1200, and Nasvhille’s WPRT-FM will also carry the game.
Mark Borowiecki will return to the lineup tonight, after missing the last 12 games with a broken hand. The Senators will run 7D, and Ryan Dzingel is now questionable after taking a bump from Zack Smith in practice. He left the ice favouring his left shoulder.
Craig Anderson starts tonight.
Morning skate lines.— TSN 1200 (@TSN1200) December 17, 2018
Tkachuk White Stone
Boedker Tierney Ryan
Dzingel Smith Paajarvi
Pyatt Paul Batherson
Borowiecki, Duchene, DeMelo all out for yhe skate.
- It will be interesting to see which of Ottawa’s defencemen get bumped down into the “seventh D” role. With Boro returning tonight, I doubt it’s him. The likely candidate appears to be Justin Falk, as Christian Jaros is probably safe due to being one of only two right-handed defencemen.
- Guy Boucher told the media, this morning, that Drake Batherson’s offensive chances began decreasing when Matt Duchene went down with an injury. While playing on the fourth line will likely do little to rectify that, perhaps Nick Paul can get the rookie some looks. Provided he plays at all.
- Speaking of Nick Paul, he’s been the highlight of Ottawa’s fourth line the last two games. While that obviously isn’t saying much, Paul’s possession numbers have been solid. Hopefully he continues this upward trajectory.
- Matt Duchene practiced today in a full-contact jersey. Guy Boucher told the media he hopes #95 will return Friday against the New Jersey Devils.
- Dylan DeMelo also appears slated to return Friday.
- After a hot start, Brady Tkachuk has just one point in his last nine games. The lack of stability in the lineup can’t be helping, but Tkachuk’s play has still been solid. Look for him to get back on the board tonight.
- A look at the Preds’ probable line combos and pairings can be found at Left Wing Lock.
|Penalty Kill %||73.8||30th||82.8||7th|
|Corsi (5v5, Score & Venue Adjusted)||42.56||31st||49.64||20th|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||43.02||31st||50.32||16th|
|Goals||Mark Stone||16||Kyle Palmieri||17|
|Assists||Thomas Chabot||26||Taylor Hall||24|
|Points||Mark Stone||39||Taylor Hall||33|
|Shots||Thomas Chabot||94||Kyle Palmieri||106|
|TOI/GP||Thomas Chabot||24:23||Sami Vatanen||22:20|