Welcome back to real life! A lot of things take some time off over Christmas, including Three Stars. Don’t worry, we’re back, recapping how the Sens have done since December 19th. Normally, 3-4-2 isn’t a great record, but after the miserable last couple months, that’s more than adequate. And besides, the Senators are now on a two-game winning streak.
- Mark Stone. To win, you need your best players to be your best players, right? Luckily for us, Stone is our best player even when we don’t win. That includes 12 points over the past 9 games. It’s also nice to see him pumping the tires of a player with more to prove in Ryan Dzingel.
- Ryan Dzingel. Some recency bias here, but the guys with four goals over the last three games gets some recognition for proving he absolutely belongs in the top six.
- Erik Karlsson. He was off in the game against Detroit, but really, who wasn’t on this team? He put up 10 points in those nine games, and at least with the puck looks like the guy this team needs him to be.
- Really, this team has been successful because the top six have been given the chance to be the top six:
Top-6 Forwards Last 2 Games:— Callum Fraser (@CallumFraser18) January 7, 2018
Stone - 2G, 4A
Duchene - 3G, 1A
Hoffman - 1G, 3A
Dzingel - 3G, 0A
Ryan - 0G, 3A
Brassard - 1G, 2A
The best players like playing with each other. So play them with each other.
- Thomas Chabot has edged up to 17-20 minutes to last four games, and got yet another assist. He’s even been getting time with Erik Karlsson, which is probably the best option for EK’s partner this team has.
- Ottawa’s goalies still managed to allow 3+ goalies far too many times. Guy Boucher has seemed to decide to play a goalie who wins repeatedly until he loses. That’s not a great place to be.
- Fredrik Claesson has been a healthy scratch for two games in a row to make room for Ben Harpur
- In the 6-5 win over the Sharks, Cody Ceci was on the ice for all five goals against
Who to Watch For
Stone’s ability to steal the puck and Dzingel’s ability to drive the net seems to be a great combo. Look for Dzingel to keep his goal-scoring up over this week